About 50 years ago, Sandia Peak was all about skiing.  Robert Nordhaus, an avid skier visited the Swiss Alps and decided that a tramway could lift skiers off the desert floor, to the 10.678 feet to the ski launch area instead of the long hour and a half drive to the other side of the mountain. The above picture of the tram gondola during the winter was cooling to look at in our 83 degree weather. In fact, this winter past brought 130 inches of snow and was their best year ever, attributed to climate change.  And, the mountain climate can vary by 30 degrees from the valley floor. A lovely prospect on a hot day.

We started our trip by watching a gondola glide into the tramway ready to pick up another group of people.

The gondola’s don’t look big enough to carry fifty people, but they are crammed full. We lucked out and got a nice frontal window view for picture-taking.

As you ascend, the view of the steep rocky crags and lush forests and (in spring) rushing water below is breathtaking. The ride is gentle like a balloon ride, yet I heard people express  fear about  the height and the weight on the cables. Our first link is the 238 foot tower a mile distant.

Once past the first tower, the terrain below is, as the guide put it, about 8 seconds down, which brought groans from the crowd.

The second tower is a stubby thing that gives you the feeling you are going to crash right into the rock face. This tramway is 46 years old and was once the longest in the world. Now it remains the longest in North America, but the free lengths of a mile between towers is still the longest lengths for any tramway.

A short fifteen minutes and you’ve reached the top where we quickly put on our sweatshirts against a breezy wind.

It was a lovely clear day, and the scenery below, with 38,000 acres of bike trails, hiking paths, and boulder climbing makes this a great tourist destination.

The ski lift, unused now,  on the other side of the mountain and the valley below.  A restaurant serves visitors at the top, if you are hungry.

The Albuquerque side reveals a wide-spread, flat city of 900,000 residents. It is said that you can see nine-tenths of New Mexico from this peak.

On the way down, you realize how steep this ride really is.

Now that is steep!  The guide put worries to rest as he explained the several safe back-up systems in place against power failures, or in the event someone gets sick on the ride and has to be removed. They’ve never had to use them.

One three-mile cable weighs 52,000 pounds. A million dollars and down time to replace.  Everyday, employees inspect the wheels that the cable rides on. Replacing them, the minute they see an abrasion or wear on the wheels, prevents damage to the cables and is much cheaper.

All too soon, we were on the ground again, looking at flowers in bloom.



Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , | 4 Comments

Post navigation


  1. Loved all your shots, they looked so great!

  2. Randy

    Great shots—great ride. Why did they shut down the skiing—I’m guessing not enough snow.

  3. Patricia McKay

    It was nice to see the Sandia tram again. While at the top, you could see (from the restaurant) a little stone house sitting on a peak to your left. If you walked over there, you would have found a wonderful stone cabin with open windows, a fireplace and picnic benches. The view is incredible. When I left there, in 1966, there was still a trading post a short walk from the stone cabin, at another viewpoint – the original one. We ran that trading post and lived up there for a season. Weather changed from 20 to 80 something and back again nearly every day. Hikers often had to breathe into paper bags and sometimes spend a night due to the altitude. The next walk – half a mile or so, went or goes to a TV transmitter station which was the only place one could see TV, although the local radio made it possible to listen (somewhat crackily) to old movies in the afternoons. One night, there was a knock at the door. We opened up and found a hungry bear waiting for dinner – we slept upstairs for the next few days. Another day, we walked through the snow to picnic in the little cabin, and were confronted by the same, or another, bear, who came in to get warm by our fire or share our cocoa and marshmallows. After a little dance around the picnic tales, we decided to let the bear have the view. Another day, close to the last day, my then husband chased me around the mountain top at midnight, taking shots between the trees. Needless to say, this post brought back a lot of memories for me.

  4. 2gadabout

    Oh, what a marvelous story. I’m so glad you wrote. It enhances my own experience and now when I return, I’ll be sure and find that little stone house and think of you. Thanks so much.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: